Day One

Hello!  I'm Paul Kassel, new dean of CVPA.  Today is my first official day on the job, although I've been attending meetings and getting up to speed since the Board of Trustees approved my appointment at the end of April.

Before I say anything else, I want to acknowledge the tremendous work and generosity of Interim Dean Paul Bauer.  Everyone who knows him sings his praises, and if you have the chance, drop him a note letting him know what a great job he has done for the College this past year.  Personally, he has gone well beyond the call of duty in helping me get ready to lead CVPA.  I owe him a lot.  Luckily for us all, Dr. Bauer will be assisting CVPA in some crucial areas over the next year, as well as giving me aid and advice throughout this transitional period.

By now, many of you know that a budget deal has been made!  This is very good news for the university, but also for CVPA and particularly for the School of Theatre & Dance.  I'll have more to say about that next week.

This blog has not been active in a while, but it is my intention to revive it and to use it regularly, both to send out news about the great work of the student, faculty and staff of the College and Schools, but also to share the journey of my first year in DeKalb.  I'll do my best to keep them short, to the point, and informative.

Each post will begin with news about the College, followed by something I learned or discovered about NIU as I go about my business.  I'll finish with a bit about myself--my background, my interests--that I hope will be interesting or at least amusing.

This is a photo from an Actors Equity production of The Fantastiks I did with Halfmoon Theatre Company last year at the Marriott Theatre in Hyde Park, NY.  I'm the clown in the blue plaid pants.



Popular posts from this blog

Ben Mahmoud Memorial Retrospective and Auction To Be Held

Music Professor's Horn Concerto Receives World Premiere Performance

TrumpetFest Features Principal Players of Chicago Symphony, Lyric Opera