Winter Convocation 2017

Back in the saddle!  I've neglected this, I know.  But there's a lot going on and I'm going to make sure I stay in touch.

First, we hired a new Director of Development--CVPA's first ever!  Welcome to Kristin Miller.  She lives in Sycamore and has a lot of experience in the not-for-profit development business.  She's hit the ground running and is sure to help us sustain and grow scholarships, endowments, and naming opportunities.

Second, we are hosting the first ever whole College Convocation!  It's next Monday, February 13 from 6:30 to 9:00 PM at the historic Egyptian Theatre in DeKalb.

 
The idea originated when I learned that this sort of thing had never been done before.  In my previous institution this had been a regular practice at the beginning of each academic year.  But the Schools here are very busy in the fall, so we found a date in February when things are a bit quieter and everyone might need a lift.

Part of my vision for CVPA includes ENGAGEMENT.  I want the work of our students and faculty engaged with the broader community.  By holding the convocation at the Egyptian, we signal to everyone that our work is also the work of the entire region.  Our motto is Art for Everyone and Everyone for the Arts!

There will be a LOT going on-- student art exhibits, musical performances, dance, theater, and our  special keynote speaker, Aaron Dworkin. 

We are all in this together.  As artists, scholars, teachers, students, staff,  patrons, family and friends--art is a game that when well played, everybody wins.  I want theatre students who've never been to the museum to become regular visitors.  I want visual artists to go to plays.  I want musicians to see a dance, dancers to hear a jazz concert.  We are a community and together we are stronger, more resilient, and our artistry is greatly enriched.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Ben Mahmoud Memorial Retrospective and Auction To Be Held

Music Professor's Horn Concerto Receives World Premiere Performance

TrumpetFest Features Principal Players of Chicago Symphony, Lyric Opera